.ODS to .XLSX File conversion bug report

RamonTavarez ramontavarez at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 06:50:30 PDT 2015

*Original post on Users*:

Hi:

I've experienced the following issue:

The file attached is an .ODS file (1,976 KB).  When seved as  .XLSX file it
expands to more than 15 MB.

If the new .XLSX files is oppened with MSOffice 2013 it will ask for
recovery of information within the file,  after that if we save the
recovered file to the same file type (.XLSX) the file shrinks to 2,393KB.

Why?

OBRA_CIVIL_TERMINACION_ESTACION_Y_MODULO_ENTRADA_EST_21_LINEA_2B_abril_2015.ods
<http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n4147121/OBRA_CIVIL_TERMINACION_ESTACION_Y_MODULO_ENTRADA_EST_21_LINEA_2B_abril_2015.ods>

Here is the .XLS file saved with MSOffice 2013:

OBRA_CIVIL_TERMINACION_ESTACION_Y_MODULO_ENTRADA_EST_21_LINEA_2B_abril_2015.xlsx
<http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n4147121/OBRA_CIVIL_TERMINACION_ESTACION_Y_MODULO_ENTRADA_EST_21_LINEA_2B_abril_2015.xlsx>

*Cley Faye wrote:*

/Discussion about open formats aside, I've looked at the file and it looks
like when saving as xlsx each sheet grow huge (some goes to ~20MB before
compression).

Could you also post the xlsx file obtained when saving with MSO, for
comparison? My guess is that either LO saves *a lot* of empty/dummy cells,
or that it saves in an older xlsx format that is less compact.

btw this is only a "by curiosity" request, but it could help the dev
pinpoint an issue if my first guess is correct. /

*Once I posted the file requested, that Cley added:*

/That's interesting. Examining the beginning of one of the "big" sheets in
both case, we see that LibreOffice is *very* verbose with what it save. If
I understand it correctly, LO save informations about *every* cells,
including empty ones. Which is very odd, since it does not do it with
*every* sheets.

This does not explain why MSO have to "repair" the files though. Maybe the
devs would be interested in this test case. /

*TomD recommended:*

/Hi :)
Good work there.  Thanks for taking it to the next level Cley!  Nicely done
:)

Posting a bug-report might be a good idea?  Ramon can you do that?
Regards from
Tom :)
/

I hope  this can help to solve any bug and  enhance  LibO.

Thanks.