Python UNO import on Mac broken

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Wed Feb 18 12:08:24 PST 2015

On 18.02.2015 06:48, Jens Tröger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This has been a problem for a long time, but it's now becoming a bit of
> a show stopper and I can't quite work around it anymore.  The workaround is
> documented here:
>
>   http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15223209/installing-pyuno-libreoffice-for-private-python-build/27975796#27975796
>
> This issue is easy to reproduce on a Mac with Python installed (system,
> or MacPorts):

oh, i missed that bit when reading your mail the first time, you are
using something other than the LO bundled python as well.

>   localhost ~ > PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:/Applications/LibreOffice64.app/Contents/MacOS python3.3
>   Python 3.3.6 (default, Nov 12 2014, 18:18:46)

... the bundled one is apparently 3.3.5 ...

>   [GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 6.0 (clang-600.0.54)] on darwin
>   Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>   >>> import uno
>   Segmentation fault: 11
>
> Any chance that whoever owns this code can take a look and fix this
> problem?  Importing uno works just fine on Linux.  (Except it doesn't on
> the latest Ubuntu, but pip/venv is broken there too...)

this is not a problem we can fix: different CPython versions are not ABI
compatible, and if you don't use the same version and configuration
options as the one bundled in LO then it's just not going to work.

example from linux, notice the "3.3m" in the library name:

> ldd instdir/program/libpyuno.so |grep python3
        libpython3.3m.so =>
/work/lo/master/instdir/program/libpython3.3m.so (0x00007f4e0e833000)

we could use the system python if Apple would ship 3.2 or later, but
usually FOSS stuff bundled by Apple is 10 years old, so there is little
hope here...