Severe performance degradation on Linux

Maarten Hoes hoes.maarten at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 10:05:02 PST 2015

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 5:22 PM, Jens Tröger <jens.troeger at light-speed.de>
wrote:

> I wonder if the poor perf got to do with UNO and Python.  On my Mac, LO
ships
> with its own Python interpreter instead of just providing the UNO hooks
> like it does on Linux.
>
>   32b LibreOffice on Mac (py 3.3.5)
>   Elapsed time: 1.8361830711364746 with 550 pars
>
>   64b LibreOffice on Mac (py 3.3.5)
>   Elapsed time: 0.8173670768737793 with 550 pars
>
>   64b LibreOffice on Linux (py 3.4.2) -- Gentoo, Ubuntu, Mint
>   Elapsed time: 45.529000759124756 with 550 pars
>
> In every instance, the binaries are provided, I don't build any of them.
> What is different, however, is the runtime environment?  Would that make
> sense?

I guess one could test that hypothesis by building libreoffice from sources
for oneself, and specifying '--enable-python=internal' to autogen.sh in
order to build the python that comes with the libreoffice sources, and use
that one ('instdir/program/python') instead of the system provided version ?

- Maarten