Jenkins verification of gerrit patches

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Wed Jan 14 08:09:56 PST 2015

On 01/14/2015 03:36 PM, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 8:25 AM, Stephan Bergmann <sbergman at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 01/12/2015 06:28 AM, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
>>>
>>> FYI: the build are 'default build'. autogen.config contains pretty
>>> much nothing beyond
>>> --with-external-tar, --wtih-ant-home and sometimes
>>> --disable-dependency-tracking
>>

>> at least --enable-werror should hopefully be uncontroversial to add?
>
> if is is, then why is it not the default ?

Purportedly for the benefit of both casual and distro builders, who
might run into errors with exotic compilers and/or building against
system alternatives of certain of our external modules where we apply
patches to mitigate warnings.

The debate what the default should be is there since our work on Werror
got started, and the winning-so-far argument always was that a
responsible developer should know how to enable it, so the default could
safely be to have it disabled (for the purported benefit of: see above).

> My problem is
> 1/ I'd like to avoid getting in the autogen.input management game

Understandable, but I see no better solution for this problem short of
re-fuelling that tiring discussion.

> 2/ I'm concerned about false positive.. that is your gerrit patch
> verification build failed because the core you built on failed.

With the current compiler landscape, I would argue that the amount of
warnings that go into master and cause one of the "mainstream" compilers
to fail is sufficiently small.  And would be even smaller if the bots
used to triage gerrit commits would be configured --enable-werror.