Workflow between dev, UX and l10n teams

Sophie gautier.sophie at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 08:02:12 PST 2015

Hi Kendy,
Le 26/01/2015 16:40, Jan Holesovsky a écrit :
> Hi Sophie,
>
> Sophie píše v Po 26. 01. 2015 v 16:19 +0100:
>
>> Pootle will show you a modified string, even if it doesn't affect your
>> translation you will have to validate the string again to have it on a
>> translated state. Also we don't all work on Pootle, several of us are
>> working off line and Pootle is only a repository for our files.
>
> But the offline files are taken from Pootle too - right?  So if fixes
> are done at the time of uploading to Pootle, everybody gets them -
> correct?

yes, I'll have a meeting with Dwayne (Pootle developer) during Fosdem
and will discuss with him about that.

>> That's why we were thinking of a en_US version as a real language and
>> different from the sources and
>
> But at some stage this will have to apply to the sources - and at that
> time, it will be even worse than now :-(  I'm afraid having en_US as a
> separate language will make the situation worse, not better.

Yes, I'm not sure either

>>  also about scripting changes when
>> possible (like the substitution of ~ by _)
>
> Sure - so I think this was something that could have been automatized
> with a trivial script; when this was noticed for the first time, please?
> Pity that it was not brought to the ESC as a problem...

It was brought on the dev list, but when the l10n team discovered it, it
was too late. Cloph has already scripted several changes, but he can't
do it all.

>> Translators are for most of them non technical people and will not see a
>> commit, but only the result on Pootle, sometimes months later.
>
> The "months later" is the problem, not the non-technicality :-)  It is
> enough to send "something happened yesterday - please check what's up";
> similarly to how people are checking the daily builds.

that will be possible now that some of us are translating on master

>>> Also - should we have a 'Localization' recurring topic in the ESC?  Who
>>> would be the right representative there, please?
>>
>> Maybe not as a recurring topic, but something that should be in mind of
>> UX team and developers when they commit or check for commits that have a
>> huge impact on l10n.
>
> Well - if it's not recurring, it's easy to forget ;-)  Also I think it
> will be more effective to discuss this there - are you able to join this
> Thursday?

Thanks for the invitation and yes, let me know the time and I'll join.

Cheers
Sophie

Sophie Gautier sophie.gautier at documentfoundation.org
Tel:+33683901545