Adding Languages to Writer's Character, Font Menu

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Fri Jul 3 04:35:22 PDT 2015

On Thu, 2015-07-02 at 19:34 +0100, Richard Wordingham wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 23:40:10 +0200
> Michael Stahl <mstahl at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On 24.06.2015 23:26, toki wrote:
>
> > > That is part of the reason why I think the whole Western/CJKV/CTL
> > > split should be thrown out, and replaced with language/writing
> > > system, supplemented by locale data.
>
> > that's a great idea in theory, unfortunately it would throw out any
> > hope of compatibility with Microsoft Office as well....
>
> How does one achieve compatibility with per script font-selection as
> shown in
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/officeinteroperability/archive/2013/04/22/office-open-xml-themes-schemes-and-fonts.aspx ?
>
> For that matter, how does the current scheme square with a style having
> separate fonts for ASCII and other Latin characters - the *four*-way
> split ASCII / 'High ANSI' / Complex Script / East Asian?

See
http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/filter/source/msfilter/util.cxx#127
for the last time I went digging into the rancid pit of what MSOffice
means there.

Though we don't use that above method anywhere at the moment, its just
documentation of what I think I found out. I don't know what we
currently do for ASCII/High-ANSI, but for the other categories we assume
that our CTL is the same as their Complex Script and our CJK is the same
as their East Asian and for the .doc format (and possibly also the docx,
would need to check that) GetPseudoCharRuns in
sw/source/filter/ww8/writerwordglue.cxx splits the text up into those
runs

C.