RTF support: \nofpages

tracey002 wpiis at gte.net
Sat Jul 4 07:28:56 PDT 2015

  Just FYI, I'm having problems sending email, I'm CCing myself to
confirm the message was sent.

I use the _*simplest*_ [RTF / HTML / TAB-delimted] formating to export
textual data so the End User can open the document in their Word
Processor, Spreadsheet, or paste the data into an email (whatever they
are using).

    By _*simplest*_, I mean as much as necessary, but no more than
    necessary*:* utilitarian*.*

Should I be able to _RTF format_ the page count (*_{\info{\nofpages}}_*)
in a footer using LibreOffice?
I (can / do) not know (and do not care) how many pages there will be
when creating a text document (whatever paper size and/or margin sizes
they will be using).
*_\nofpages_* appears to have been documented since _RTF Version 1.0 in
1987_
_*NUMPAGES*_ appears to have been documented since _RTF Version in 1.9 2008_

    It appears that the RTF Spec seems to indicate that a bare-bones
    page footer option could be something like*:* *_{\footer\qc _Page
    X_\_**_chpgn _X of Y_{\info{\nofpages}}_Y\par}* (*\qc* can also be
    \ql or \qr)*
    *
    Can/Should this work in LibreOffice or is this a mis-applaction of
    the RTF Controls?
    Opening such a document shows: Page X*_Page numbers_*X of YY -
    *_Page numbers_* being the text for field code _*Page Number*_

        It is missing the appearence of *_Statistics_* - *_Statistics_*
        being the text for field code *_Page Count_*

            It appears as: Page X*_1_*X of YY - in print preview

        For now, I think it should show: Page X*_Page numbers_*X of
        Y*_Statistics_*Y

                I put in a bug report to LO to change the text of _Page
                Numbers_ (plural) to _Page Number_ (singular) and the
                text of _Statistics_ to _Page Count_ (FWIW)_
                _

I reverse-enginerred a LibreOffice v.3.6.7.2 creation and stripped out
all the fluff and the page footer appears as follows
(*{{\field{\*\fldinst  NUMPAGES }{\fldrslt 1}}}*):

    {\footer\qc{Page X}{{\field{\*\fldinst  PAGE }{\fldrslt }}}
    {X of Y}
    {{\field{\*\fldinst  NUMPAGES }{\fldrslt 1}}}
    {Y}\par}

        This does show: Page X*_Page numbers_*X of Y*_Statistics_*Y
        This does show: Page X*_1_*X of Y*_1_*Y - in print preview

So I am not hopeless and I can use the page count code in the footer of
LibreOffice v.3.6.7.2

    I was told one time that RTF Version 1.5 was as complicated as
    needed for simple text use: bold, italic, header, footer, and the
    such like.

        Is 'NUMPAGES' backwards compatible to RTF Version 1.5??? (or did
        _{\info{\nofpages}}_ never work anyway)

Please advise.
Thanks, Tracey

Ref:

Version:

RTF Version 1.9.1

Microsoft Technical Support

Rich Text Format (RTF) Specification

Specification

Contents:

278 Pages

03/2008--RTF Specification

Page 37 in the Information Group section:

    \nofpages/N/

    Number of pages

Page 143 in the Page Information section:

    \chpgn

    Current page number (as in headers).

Page 258 of the index:

\nofpages/N/ ^87

_Information Group
<mailbox:///D%7C/Email.Thunder/Inbox?number=45216#Information_Group>_

Value