How do I start contributing to Open-Source community?

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Tue Jul 7 12:26:50 PDT 2015

On 07/07/15 18:57, Ashutosh Narang wrote:
> There's a hitch in my mind.
> I'm not a great programmer, I have learn't programming on my own from
> books and online vedios.
> So I want to ask that , do iI need to get a more in-depth understanding
> or should go along with learning while contributing.

The best way to learn is to contribute. Find the "easy hacks" page. Look
at the source code. Try to write in the same style as the code you're
modifying.

> I want to become a great programmer. I have time. I would be thankful if
> you reply and help.

When you're trying to code something, easy hack or whatever, go onto the
irc channel and ask for help.

The thing to note there, is you MUST have tried yourself on your own
first. You're more likely to get a response if you say "I've tried this,
I've tried that, ..."

There are also mailing lists and irc channels dedicated to helping
people learn programming. Find them.

And lastly, while ESR (Eric Raymond) is very much an acquired taste, he
has written some very good stuff on the psychology of programming. One
of them is about how to ask for help. Find it and read it.

> Thanks.

Here endeth your homework for the day :-)

Cheers,
Wol