pushing patches despite requests for a test

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at collabora.com
Sat Jul 25 00:17:06 PDT 2015

Hi Markus,

On Fri, 2015-07-24 at 18:22 +0200, Markus Mohrhard wrote:
> so it is now the second time that despite me requesting a unit test in
> a gerrit review request a patch has been pushed.

	Sounds like bad style. Then again - how many man-hours do we expect
would be required for the tests ? [ if it is easy to test then ... worse
style I guess ].

> I only care marginally if you do it in code that I don't maintain but
> I will revert it every single time when it is in code that I maintain.

	I wonder what the wider context is; I imagine people are fixing crazily
for -5-0-0 - and that in some cases creating a unit test consumes
significant time that will stop the next fix being got at - which will
ultimately result in a noticeably poorer quality 5.0.0 release. ie.
we're in a short-term bug-fix crunch and this is a zero sum game to some
extent.

	Then again, it sounds unhelpful longer term; I wonder if we could have
the fixes on the -5-0-0 branch but not on master or on -5-0 (without a
unit test) - which would of course be pretty 'orrible as an approach:
but hopefully queue up the unit testing work to make sure that it gets
done later & yet get the fix in now.

	Or perhaps that's a mad plan =)

	ATB,

		Michael.