Mac OS X and pkg-config

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 08:27:46 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 9:20 AM, Thorsten Behrens
<thb at documentfoundation.org> wrote:
> Tor Lillqvist wrote:
>> But neither is it very useful to have the already small set of OS X -based
>> developers split into those who use a pure upstream way to build, those who
>> use HomeBrew libjpeg but bundled Python, those who use MacPorts Python and
>> libjpeg, etc.
>>
> Maybe. But is that really so different on Linux (where we seem to
> cope)? And I guess Khaled's intention is to rather grow the pool of
> Mac hackers, by removing one very early point of frustration ...

Having macport or other 'extension' mixed-up with your lo dev
environement _is_ the best way to introduce frustration
The advice given time and time again is _DO NOT DO THAT_
This is not supported, will break in mysterious and confusing ways,
will produced executable that are not going to work anywhere else than
on you exact config
and since it has no benefit, no-one will waste time to even try to
make it works reliably and sustainably.

the _easiest_ way: create a dedicated 'normal' user.. make sure that
none of macport/fink/other is poluting the env of that user
then:

git clone git://gerrit.libreoffice.org/lode
cd lode
./setup --dev
cd dev/core
./autogen.sh
make

done

This is working and supported. That is exactly how the Mac slave bots
are operated.

Norbert