Mac OS X and pkg-config

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Thu Jun 11 05:13:26 PDT 2015

On 06/11/2015 01:42 PM, David Tardon wrote:
> Actually, I just found out that this can be a problem on OS X as well. A
> recent build of master fails in liborcus if there is boost installed
> from Homebrew. Because, unfortunately, Homebrew installs stuff into
> /usr/local and the boost.m4 script used by liborcus looks there...

...which answers my question

   "And while presence of pkg-config on the PATH might be a good
heuristic to detect that the environment has been contaminated by
MacPorts or their like, is polluting PATH the only thing those do (and
which we would thus need to counter), or are they also polluting in
other ways that subtly influence the build (and then cause headaches)?"

and implies that
<http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=ada6281a5bd74d0ff6ae578d57f39f65b7c25103>
"configure: make the error message for pkg-config on Mac more
actionable" fails to take into account my assumption

   "Using presence of pkg-config as a canary to detect polluted
environments was probably born out of pragmatism.  I guess that there
are further problems with polluted environments beyond presence of
pkg-config."