Changing mindset of core LO developers to the status of master -- was test infrastructure ideas appreciated ...

David Ostrovsky d.ostrovsky at gmx.de
Wed Jun 10 23:44:39 PDT 2015

On Wed, Wed Jun 10 12:22:53 PDT 2015, Norbert Thiebaud wrot

> All that being said, none of that matter if the culture does not
> follow. no amount of CI can make people care.. what set the tone is
> the core developer group, the rest of us looks around how it is done
> and emulate the behavior.

Nothing causes more pain, frustration and disappointment than
unfulfilled expectations.

I expect that master is always green. My definition of green is:

  $ make check

with --enable-werror is passing on all three platforms: Linux|Mac|Win
64.

I thought that the same expectation is _consensus_ among core LO
developers. My definition of core LO developers: payed developer who is
working full time on LO.

So as master was broken again (my definition of broken is compiling
and/or linking was broken on some platforms, not to mention passing of
tests) I entered #libreoffice-dev channel on freenode and asked:

_david_: "Master is broken again. Is that too much to expect that the
master is green?"

One of LO core developers (see my definition of "core developers" above)
answered:

_lo_core_developer_: "Yes, it's. The purpose of master is to be always
broken."

That's boolshit, of course. Fix that mindset first, before saying or
doing anything else.