Changing mindset of core LO developers to the status of master -- was test infrastructure ideas appreciated ...

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Thu Jun 11 03:14:29 PDT 2015

On 11/06/15 07:44, David Ostrovsky wrote:
> On Wed, Wed Jun 10 12:22:53 PDT 2015, Norbert Thiebaud wrot
>
>> All that being said, none of that matter if the culture does not
>> follow. no amount of CI can make people care.. what set the tone is
>> the core developer group, the rest of us looks around how it is done
>> and emulate the behavior.
>
> Nothing causes more pain, frustration and disappointment than
> unfulfilled expectations.
>
> I expect that master is always green. My definition of green is:
>
>   $ make check
>
> with --enable-werror is passing on all three platforms: Linux|Mac|Win
> 64.

As a "green" developer, I'd second that. Okay, I'm not used to using
VCS's (my programming experience is on old systems that typically didn't
have VCS available - cheapskate bosses), but even back yonks ago, stuff
shouldn't leave the developer's local workspace until it actually works.

And as a git novice, "master" is the git branch that everybody knows about.

> I thought that the same expectation is _consensus_ among core LO
> developers. My definition of core LO developers: payed developer who is
> working full time on LO.
>
> So as master was broken again (my definition of broken is compiling
> and/or linking was broken on some platforms, not to mention passing of
> tests) I entered #libreoffice-dev channel on freenode and asked:
>
> _david_: "Master is broken again. Is that too much to expect that the
> master is green?"
>
> One of LO core developers (see my definition of "core developers" above)
> answered:
>
> _lo_core_developer_: "Yes, it's. The purpose of master is to be always
> broken."
>
> That's boolshit, of course. Fix that mindset first, before saying or
> doing anything else.

Let's have a branch called "lo-next", or "bleeding", or something like
that. I don't have access to Mac, and don't build on Win. How hard is it
to push all changes to "bleeding", and then either cherry-pick or bulk
push all changes to master when they pass on all relevant test boxes.

Cheers,
Wol