Changing mindset of core LO developers to the status of master -- was test infrastructure ideas appreciated ...

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Thu Jun 11 03:25:37 PDT 2015

On 11.06.2015 08:44, David Ostrovsky wrote:
> Nothing causes more pain, frustration and disappointment than
> unfulfilled expectations.
>
> I expect that master is always green. My definition of green is:
>
>   $ make check
>
> with --enable-werror is passing on all three platforms: Linux|Mac|Win
> 64.
>
> I thought that the same expectation is _consensus_ among core LO
> developers. My definition of core LO developers: payed developer who is
> working full time on LO.

at least with regard to tests passing, i certainly expect that, and
complain on IRC whenever the current master doesn't meet my expectation.
 but i guess i should revert commits that break tests more often and
earlier than i currently do...

warnings are a bit less of an issue for me since they are usually
trivial to fix, and you really have to use CI to check them on every
platform.

> So as master was broken again (my definition of broken is compiling
> and/or linking was broken on some platforms, not to mention passing of
> tests) I entered #libreoffice-dev channel on freenode and asked:
>
> _david_: "Master is broken again. Is that too much to expect that the
> master is green?"
>
> One of LO core developers (see my definition of "core developers" above)
> answered:
>
> _lo_core_developer_: "Yes, it's. The purpose of master is to be always
> broken."

let me guess... the core developer was a certain Finnish guy with a
certain reputation for sarcastic remarks?