Adding Languages to Writer's Character, Font Menu

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Mon Jun 29 11:40:46 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 12:14:44PM +0200, Eike Rathke wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> On Wednesday, 2015-06-24 20:54:54 +0100, Richard Wordingham wrote:
>
> > The script is generally implicit in the text.
>
> You want to rely on automatic detection of scripts depending on the
> language chosen? Do you plan to implement that? However, even then the
> resulting tag would include the script code if it wasn't the default
> script of the language.

Almost every character in Unicode has a script property, the exceptions
is characters that has Inherit (unusually combining marks) or Common
(punctuation mostly), put there is a simple and pretty reliable way to
resolve the script of those characters from the context.

We already handle this at the text shaping level in VCL for platforms
where HarfBuzz is used.

Regards,
Khaled