Adding Languages to Writer's Character, Font Menu

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Mon Jun 29 14:27:45 PDT 2015

On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 20:40:46 +0200
Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 12:14:44PM +0200, Eike Rathke wrote:
> > Hi Richard,
> >
> > On Wednesday, 2015-06-24 20:54:54 +0100, Richard Wordingham wrote:
> >
> > > The script is generally implicit in the text.
> >
> > You want to rely on automatic detection of scripts depending on the
> > language chosen? Do you plan to implement that? However, even then
> > the resulting tag would include the script code if it wasn't the
> > default script of the language.
>
> Almost every character in Unicode has a script property, the
> exceptions is characters that has Inherit (unusually combining marks)
> or Common (punctuation mostly), put there is a simple and pretty
> reliable way to resolve the script of those characters from the
> context.

Indeed, the route I had in mind was:

1) Determine script from character(s).

2) Categorise script as Western/CTL/CJK

3) Locale is then the Western locale, the CTL locale or the CJK locale
as appropriate.

Unless one first categorises the script, one does not know what the
language is.

Now, with more support, one may need the script.  For example, a
Serbian date field should depend on the script (Latin v. Cyrillic) as
well as just the language, and Serbian is not the only language using
competing scripts in the same class.  However, what a date field picks
up from its environment is curious.  If I copy a Thai date field and
paste it into the middle of an English word, I get a date in English!

Richard.