Adding Languages to Writer's Character, Font Menu

Eike Rathke erack at redhat.com
Tue Jun 30 09:07:08 PDT 2015

Hi Richard,

On Monday, 2015-06-29 22:27:45 +0100, Richard Wordingham wrote:

> 1) Determine script from character(s).
>
> 2) Categorise script as Western/CTL/CJK

Sounds good.

> 3) Locale is then the Western locale, the CTL locale or the CJK locale
> as appropriate.

That's more or less what we do already. If a portion of text has
a Western and a CJK locale assigned, it depends on the script used in
the text which one is actually taken for a segment of text.

> Unless one first categorises the script, one does not know what the
> language is.

Unless the user wants to assign it, for example if s/he wants to assign
a language tag (note again, I'm talking of BCP 47 here) before there is
any content.

> Now, with more support, one may need the script.  For example, a
> Serbian date field should depend on the script (Latin v. Cyrillic) as
> well as just the language, and Serbian is not the only language using
> competing scripts in the same class.  However, what a date field picks
> up from its environment is curious.  If I copy a Thai date field and
> paste it into the middle of an English word, I get a date in English!

That's quite certainly an implementation detail that could be solved and
not the general W/C/C classification problem.

  Eike

GPG key "ID" 0x65632D3A - 2265 D7F3 A7B0 95CC 3918  630B 6A6C D5B7 6563 2D3A
Better use 64-bit 0x6A6CD5B765632D3A here is why: https://evil32.com/
Care about Free Software, support the FSFE https://fsfe.org/support/?erack