Application Hangs

D V Du davandusen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 15:14:59 PDT 2015

Using Mac, 4.4.1, on newest Yosemite,  Text Document goes to 99 - 100%
CPU (and stays above 95%) and shows one new 'Recent Hangs' every 5
seconds.  It also shows 1000 context switches PER SECOND ---...   During
quiescence,  stays above 90% except after non-use for 10 minutes.  Has
many context switches even during quiescence.

On exact same context, Text Document 4.3.6.2 shows average between .03
and 99%, only showing 99% CPU when actually active.  During quiescence
it gets down to .03 regularly, within 30 seconds.  Has only a few
context switches during quiescence.

Each of above was in same configuration, same document, same
applications and background processes running and with 16G of storage.
Each version showed about 250M real memory and about 3.6G of virtual
memory.

In each case, I deleted caches and preferences before running. In each
case, I used the same document (a 30 page table with simple formatting)
and repeated the 'test' with that same document twice (or more) to be
sure that it was not a corrupted document.