LibreOffice 4 and Python on Yosemite

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Mon Mar 9 03:00:03 PDT 2015

On 08.03.2015 21:49, Piet van Oostrum wrote:

> When compiling LibreOffice 4 (both 4.4.1.2 from the source tarball
> and the HEAD from Git) I have trouble including Python.
>
> Before this I had compiled LO 4.3.5.2 on Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow
> Leopard) and everything went without problems. Just ./autogen.sh
> (without any options) and make.
>
> However I wanted to switch to LO 4 and therefore I had to go to a
> newer version of Mac OS X. I installed Yosemite (10.10.2), and now it
> couldn't find Python anymore.
>
> I have included part of the logfile below. The linker complains about
> not being able to find the library -lpython2.7, as there is no
> corresponding -L option. Also I don't know why it wants python 2.7 as
> I thought LO 4 wants Python 3.3. Maybe it is because the standard
> python invocation on my system is 2.7, and 3.3 must be invoked as
> python3.

iirc the configure will only try to use a python >= 3.3 from the system;
if your build is trying to use system python 2.7 you probably used
--enable-python=system, or maybe i remember it wrong and it works
differently on Mac (but why?).

> I also tried to include  --enable-python=internal but then it
> couldn't find it. So I wonder how the LO build gets its internal
> Python: does it compile it from source or does it make a copy of a
> Python on your system?

what does "it couldn't find it" mean?

it should build the bundled python3 from source and link pyuno against
it; if you change the configure flags you need to "make pyuno.clean" to
rebuild pyuno against the bundled python3.

PS:
please don't reply to a random unrelated mail from the mailing list,
it's less confusing if you start a new thread for a new topic.