GSOC 2015

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Mon Mar 23 05:17:12 PDT 2015

On 22.03.2015 20:24, Huzaifa Iftikhar wrote:
> Hi,
> I am Huzaifa Iftikhar and currently I am pursuing B.Tech. from Maharaja
> Agrasen Institute of Technology (GGSIPU, New Delhi). I would like to
> contribute to Libre in this Google Summer of Code 2015. I am confident
> enough that I will surely make a positive contribution to the community.
>
> I am interested in C and C++ Programming languages. I have shared my
> project on Github which was made by me as a part of my school project.
>
> I am currently working on EasyHack #75280 and am trying to understand
> and learn LibreOffice code and get used to it. I will ask questions if
> in doubt and will commit changes as soon I feel that I have fixed the bug.
>
> I checked project ideas for GSoC 2015 and would like to work on the idea
> "More and better tests". I find this idea interesting and would love to
> learn more about it by /Michael Stahl./
> I will to my best this summer and will contribute to LibreOffice with my
> full efforts and dedication. I may also work on the other ideas but I
> might require additional information by the mentors. I don't have any
> other major commitments anywhere else during the summer.

hi Huzaifa,

great to hear you are interested in writing tests!

since you already started on an easy-hack i assume you have already done
a build successfully.

when you are done, submit a patch to gerrit; that should make
you familiar with the tools and workflows used (git, gerrit, make, ...).

start reading here:
http://www.libreoffice.org/developers/
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Git_For_LibreOffice_Developers
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Easy_Hacks

some notes for GSoC applicants are here:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/GSoC/2015

note that there are usually more GSoC applicants than available mentors,
and the most important thing to get accepted is to show that you can get
useful work done - we have certain bugs marked as "EasyHack" that should
be easy for somebody not familiar with the code base to solve; once you
have a trivial patch accepted we can give you a small task related to
the GSoC topic, to see how you fare on that.

please don't hesitate to get onto the IRC channel and ask questions (but
do read available documentation before asking questions).

regards,
 michael