GSoC IDEA- AUTOMATED ERROR CHECKING IN CALC

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Wed Mar 25 06:02:14 PDT 2015

On 24/03/15 18:25, Markus Mohrhard wrote:
> As Eike mentioned that is not the idea behind this task. The task would
> be to integrate correct currency handling (that you show a warning/error
> when you try to sum across different currencies e.g. EURO + DOLLAR). For
> this the first requirement is most likely to get the unit feature branch
> merged into master (it also requires some more work before merging can
> be considered).

And to my mind (I worked for a trade association that handled
calculations in most currencies - from Sterling to Italian and Turkish
lire, and hyperinflation currencies like Zimbabwe) the idea of automatic
conversion is actually extremely dangerous.

Quite often it's an end-user requirement to use x dp (can be a daft
requirement) or x sf (we used 4sf, the eurozone had a LEGAL obligation
to use 6 back in the day). And if you're dealing with a Zimbabwe or the
like, do you really want to use today's exchange rate on yesterday's
transaction?

Cheers,
Wol