How many degrees of headlessness do we need?

Tor Lillqvist tml at iki.fi
Sun Mar 29 16:42:50 PDT 2015

> Also, I will probably get rid of the ConsoleOnly thing, and instead call
> EnableHeadlessMode() in gengal and test IsHeadlessModeEnabled in SVMain().
> (This will affect only OS X, as it is only on OS X that ImplSVMainHook()
> can return true.)

On the other hand, it *is* documented in svapp.hxx what ConsoleOnly mode
means, and it is in fact orthogonal to headlessness. ("Used to disable Mac
specific app init that requires an app bundle.") So using this in gengal
(which indeed is not a program in an app bundle; only soffice is) makes
sense.

On the other hand, the change I did yesterday to check IsConsoleOnly()
in OfficeIPCThread::EnableOfficeIPCThread() and OfficeIPCThread::execute()
probably was wrong. That has nothing to do with whether the code is
executing in an app bundle or not. Probably what I should be checking there
is IsHeadlessModeEnabled().

Also the check for IsConsoleOnly() in OpenGLHelper::isVCLOpenGLEnabled() is
probably not right, because whether OpenGL can be used or not has little do
do with whether running in app bundle or not. Probably
IsHeadlessModeEnabled() is the right thing to call there, too.

--tml