user profile for master / LO 5.0

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Wed May 13 00:56:56 PDT 2015

On 05/13/2015 06:26 AM, Jean-Baptiste Faure wrote:
> I installed both versions 4.4.4.0.+ and 5.0.0.0.alpha1 built at home in
> release configuration. Open 4.4, play with some file, close LO, open
> 5.0, play with some file, close LO, reopen 4.4, etc. No problem
> detected. Both work well with the same user profile.
> Did not try to use both versions at the same time.

No two processes may use the same user profile simultaneously.  That's
why when starting LO, it first checks whether another LO instance is
already running for the same user profile, and if yes, hands over its
command line args to the already running instance and quits again.  This
mechanism is independent of LO versions, so for a LO 4.4 and a LO 5.0
both using ~/.config/libreoffice/4 as user profile, when one is already
running, starting the other will re-use the already running instance
(even though it's "the wrong version.")