minutes of ESC call ...

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Fri May 29 04:21:12 PDT 2015

Hi,

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 10:15:37AM +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> Unfortunately, some of the tests sporadically fail, independent of
> platform.  It is hard to remove all the non-deterministic races from
> the code base.

FWIW, Debian/Ubuntu disables a few tests that havent been rocksolid in the past:

 http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-openoffice/libreoffice.git/tree/patches/disable-flaky-tests.diff

but _all_ our releases pass the rest of 'make check'. Note also, that just
because a test had once been flacky in the past doesnt mean it still is -- we
admittedly dont try to reenable each and every test on each release to see if
it lost its flakiness.

That said, 'make check' has without exceptions has been stable for me on Linux.
I run it regulary and cant remember when I last had a false positive. If 'make
check' fails for me, its either because I broke it, or because someone else
carelessly broke it on master, with the latter unfortunately far too common.

Best,

Bjoern