git / gerrit best work flow ?

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 9 11:17:47 PST 2015

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 6:00 PM, jan iversen <jani at documentfoundation.org> wrote:

> Sometimes I have to correct an older patch set, I do the following in core:
>
> git pull

Norbert already wrote this: use pull -r

> <cherry pick gerrit patch set>

This is not only correcting an older patch set, but would also rebase it.
Not that this would be a bad thing, but it is doing more than fixing a
typo or similar.
Have a look at tinderbox before pushing at that revision, would be bad
if you rebased to a version that fails to compile on some system.

> make changes
> ./logerrit ...
>
> Then in order to cleanup I do
> git reset head~
> git checkout files from changeset

or
<checkout gerrit patch set>
git checkout -b jan_gerrit_whatever (or skip that if you don't plan to
revisit the patch anytime soon)
<fix as you like/rebase to current master if you want/submit the fix>
git checkout master

> This does not seem optimal, any suggestion on how to effectively work with
> different changesets fast ?

use branches for everything is a general rule of thumb. Easier to work
with branches than having to remember to use git reset (and less
error-prone)

ciao
Christian