Killing obsolete Jenkins builds

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 14:09:12 PST 2015

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 3:20 AM, Ashod Nakashian <ashnakash at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I didn't explain well.
>
> The patches are related. They are updates based on feedback, partial failure
> or improvement.
>
> They aren't bulk pushes (whatever that means). They are updates on a single
> changeset.
>
> Why do people send multiple patches per push? That's the right question to
> ask.
>
> And the answer is: to improve the previous patch.

Wrong answer.
The very concept of change-set is that you can work on a patch and
rework it as necessary
there is absolutely no reason to create a second patch on top of a
faulty patch not merged yet.
what should be done is to rework the original patch.
It is the whole point of review-before-merge that gerrit offer.

> Hence my question. If a patch has partially failed, or I got feedback to
> improve it, or (insert reason here), and I want to push an update, why
> should the previous patch still build when it's not necessary?

There should not be a previous patch at all.. you should amend it not
create another one on top of it

Norbert