Allow extensions to provide color palettes

toki toki.kantoor at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 02:11:15 UTC 2016

On 02/12/16 14:58, Stephan Bergmann wrote:

> Does anybody know an authoritative reference?

Years ago, when I first started playing with them, the "authoritative
reference" was the source code, and some developer documentation for it.
When Oracle took over OOo, most, if not all of the developer
documentation disappeared. It was very technical, and orientated around
how to implement the feature, not use the feature. IIRC, the important
bits were in Hacker German.

> how users are supposed to make use of multiple files in a single category.

What I do, is copy the appropriate file to standard.so#.

My guess is that most users of LibO aren't aware that those other
palettes exist, much less which components of LibO can utilize them.

I created my standard.so# files a long time ago, and, when I setup LibO,
automatically copy them to /user/config/.

> The resulting .oxt works as expected by making the "My Extension"
> palette available, but it does not drop any file into the
> UserInstallation's user/config/ directory.

What I'm looking for here, is an easy way for palette creators to get
their palettes in the LibO Extension repository.

My thinking is to write step by step instructions for non-coders.
* Setup git on your platform;
* Create an account on GitHub;
* Clone that repository in your GitHub space;
* Rename the repository you just cloned;
* Import it onto your platform;
* Copy your *.so# file into the downloaded files;
* Run makefile;
* Export everything back to GitHub;
* Mark the *.oxt file as ready for downloading;
* Write down the URL for your released OXT file on GitHub;
* Log into the LibO Extension space with your LibO credentials;
* Create the pagedata for your colour palette;
* Provide the GitHub URL, when asked;
* Wait at least five days (^1), before firing off nastygrams because it
hasn't yet been approved, and you haven't received a reason why it was
declined;

Something similar to the current, albeit erroneous _Publishing
Extensions_ file, except just for palettes.

Now wondering if perhaps if creating something like
https://github.com/LibreOffice/dictionaries except for palettes would be
worthwhile. Toss your *.so# file here, and the system will take care of
everything needed for further distribution within the ODF ecosystem.

I'm assuming that:
i: https://github.com/LibreOffice/dictionaries is related to
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Dennisroczek/CDP, and is a
result of the thread that starts at
https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/msg09832.html;
ii: The _Collaboration Dictionary Project_ automatically wraps
dictionaries, thesauri, and hyphenation into .OXT wrappers;

^1" Five days, because that is the current target within which to
respond to dev submissions.

jonathon

jonath