gbuildtojson

Kaganski Mike mikekaganski at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 6 08:15:13 UTC 2016

Hello!

On 12/6/2016 10:44 AM, Jan Iversen wrote:

Well, Python/Java are ~7% of LOC in LibreOffice core repo, and less then 2%(?)
of the shipped core product.

But if I want to make an executable within the IDE,

No, that's not true. To make the executable within the IDE, the project file only needs to know the correct command to launch. That command is "make".

or debug e.g. some of the unit test I still need it.

Well, possibly *some* tests.

One of the hard points for new people is actually to be able to debug unit tests.

Currently, new people will be unable to debug a tiny amount of tests that really require Python/Java. Wast majority don't require that.

The simple use case, of being able to develop/build/debug within the
IDE....especially debugging is important. setting breakpoints on the lines
and viewing variables is what students learn todo.

Thats already possible with existing IDE integrations.
At least not in the Xcode integration.

for a couple of reasons (which might apply to windows as well, will test that later):
- the debugger cannot run, it has not main executable.
- make and Xcode puts objects in different places.
- Also it is important to see the relationship between modules (especially when searching for symbols).

Everything I write here is based on my own experience. I mainly develop under Windows, in VS 2013 IDE. And while specifically that integration cannot build within IDE, that's the smallest problem to launch the build from console.

Students want to do all development within the IDE, and I do not see why it should be impossible.

"All development within the IDE" (including breakpoints and debugging) is already
the status quo.

I might be doing something wrong, but I have until and including today, not being able to 1/ set a breakpoint 2/ press debug 3/ stop at the breakpoint, neither in windows nor in Xcode.

To debug, under Windows, you need to 'make CppunitTest_XXX CPPUNITTRACE=TRUE', which launches separate VS IDE that's ready to open source files, set breaks and press "Run". The instruction to do so is emitted when a unit test is failed.

So, IMO, there is simply small polishment required to fix some shortcomings of specific integrations, in your case, Xcode. Overall, the new gbuildtojson made things much better. I don't believe ve need some "IDE build systems".

--
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski