gbuildtojson

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Tue Dec 6 09:42:09 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 06, 2016 at 08:44:04AM +0100, Jan Iversen wrote:
> I might be doing something wrong, but I have until and including today, not
> being able to 1/ set a breakpoint 2/ press debug 3/ stop at the breakpoint,
> neither in windows nor in Xcode.

This certainly is possible in Kdevelop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5hVXeHNt2M

It certainly was possible with VS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn3CtIrMpIA

If it broke for VS, those on Windows devs need to take care of this regression.

Note Xcocde was started by Tor IIRC, and possibly never finished. Unless
someone takes clear ownership of that (and I assume Tor will not), consider it
nothing more than a starting point, not something to be intended for production
use as is.

> But you forget that we have many unit tests written in Java and python, which
> we ask new people to debug when they have problems.

I dont forget that. The pragmatic choice is to either have these tests fail in
such a clear way that you dont need a debugger to fix what was broken in C++ --
or, failing that, migrating them to C++. Note that the core implementation we
are testing is in C++ anyway, "people who can not read/write C++" is not
relevant. Only "people who are still new to C++, but want to learn are.

Having e.g. Python tests does not relieve possible contributors to learn C++
eventually. It only might make their migration to core code a bit easier.

The reason for having Python tests is not to conform possible contributors in
keeping away from C++. The reason for Python tests is that UNO test code is
quicker to write in Python (and Star Basic) than in C++ and since most test
code. Given that test code runs 99.99% of the time without failing and the need
for debugging that is a legitimate trade-off. For the 0.01% of cases were the
test fails, your test better makes clear what broke without needing to use a
debugger, or the test need to be migrated to C++ then.

> Simply put, to be able to debug in the IDE, make simple changes, run again
> and see the effect, which I still have not been able to do.

See above: Kdevelop always did that, VS demonstrated it at least at some point.
For other IDEs, I dont know if they ever promised that up to now, but given
Kdevelop/VS, it should be clear that they should be able to do that.

Best,

Bjoern