Budgeting & investing in features ...

Jan Iversen jani at documentfoundation.org
Thu Dec 8 09:58:12 UTC 2016

> 	Is there some larger feature, platform, component, area of work
> 	that is bigger than a GSOC project but not huge enough to be too
> 	expensive that is critically missing, that has a concrete
> 	development plan to work on ?

One of the biggest show-stoppers for keeping new contributors (we have a nice inflow, so no problem there) is our development environment.

Universities today teach students to use IDE, and solely work with that. When I reach out to people who have stopped contributing, the lack of a modern IDE is a major response.

The new “gbuildtojson” that Bjoern has made, is a step in the right direction, but we are still far from a goal, where a contributor clone the repo and open his preferred IDE to start working.

Investing in:
- removing cygwin in Windows
- making a auto installer (lode++)
- complete gbuildtojson and xx-ide-integration to include prepared solutions for popular IDE (msc, Xcode, eclipse)

would help a lot to keep the contributors contributing, and thus help grow the community.

I have started a couple of attempts to do this, but the lack of resources and awareness have until now stopped the attempts.

I am aware that my POW is not shared by many, but not making the suggestion, would be wrong when wearing my mentoring hat.

rgds
jan I.