Budgeting & investing in features ...

Ashod Nakashian ashnakash at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 15:49:14 UTC 2016

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 4:58 AM, Jan Iversen <jani at documentfoundation.org>
wrote:

> The new “gbuildtojson” that Bjoern has made, is a step in the right
> direction, but we are still far from a goal, where a contributor clone the
> repo and open his preferred IDE to start working.

I guess the issue here is that one needs a full-build before generating the
project files. Couldn't we possibly automate this? It's not ideal, I
understand, but if it attracts more contributors then we all win.

The suggestion is to generate the ide files for the most common ones after
full and successful builds, and automatically commit them (if they have
changed). If we don't want to pollute the LO repo (and avoid potentially
nasty recursive build triggers etc.) then these files could go into a
separate repo that is submodule'd into LO.git.

Should be straightforward, in terms of scripting, except maybe to consider
how these ide files would be organized, located etc. Scattering them in
each directory won't work with submodule, so they'd have to be generated in
a single 'ide' directory. Otherwise, they can stay where they are, and get
committed to the LO.git repo, which (as said) might be suboptimal.

-Ash

P.S. VS, the most common IDE I imagine, upgrades project files
automatically. So we only need to generate them for the oldest supported
version.