Request For Comments: Hebrew numbering in Libreoffice

Yossi Zahn yossizahn at okmail.co.il
Fri Dec 9 08:01:48 UTC 2016

On 08/12/2016 11:12 PM, toki wrote:
> If both CJKV and CTL are set "on", then, in _theory_, with "context
> numbering" set, the numbering will follow the writing system of the
> glyphs that are next to the numbers, be they BiDI, CJKV, CTL, or L2R.
>
> The practice, unfortunately, does not always follow the theory.
There seems to be a mix up here.
My original post was about numbering systems - i.e. different ways of
numbering lists, pages etc. e.g. 'a,b,c' '1,2,3' 'א,ב,ג' a setting that
can be set set separately for each numbered list in the document.  In
this case there is _no way_ of determining the desired format from context.
I was bothered by the fact that the standard Hebrew numbering cannot be
chosen directly in the pull-down menu e.g. in Format->Page->Layout
Settings->Format: or Format->Bullets and Numbering-> Options->Number: .
The standard Hebrew numbering can only be accessed now by choosing
"Native Numbering" in that menu and _also_ setting Hebrew in
Tools->Options->Languages->Locale Settings. If there is another
numbering system that can only be accessed in the same way (I do not
know if that is the case), it would not be possible to use both systems
in one document. This is the problem I would like to fix.

Whereas you are referring to a global setting (in Tools->OptionsLanguage
Settings->Complex Text Layout->General Options) that defines how to
represent _decimal_ numbers (what glyph will appear when typing the
number 1 on the keyboard) - in which there are only 2 options - Arabic
and Hindi (and also the option to allow both depending on surrounding
context - as you pointed out). There is not and cannot be an option for
Hebrew over there because the Hebrew numbering system does not follow
the decimal numbering system. (It would be like an option for showing
the letter 'a' when the number '1' is typed.) It would not be a useful
option either since decimal numbers need to be available in Hebrew also
and are shown using Arabic numerals.

I hope I have clarified. thanks