[Libreoffice-qa] minutes of ESC call ...

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Fri Dec 16 09:41:11 UTC 2016

On 12/16/2016 10:28 AM, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 12:02:03PM +0100, Michael Stahl wrote:
>> since the goal of the policy is  "we can make incompatible changes
>> whenever it doesn't affect any 3rd party extension or macro", the
>> "published" tag is much less useful as guidance than it may appear at
>> first glance.
>
> So, uhmm, if the current/old use of "published" doesnt service core developers
> and doesnt serve UNO users, maybe we should consider making it useful? A
> radical step would be to remove the "published" tag everywhere (as we allow
> ourselves API changes anywhere already) and then carefully readd them in areas
> where we are reasonably sure we dont have to break the API again soon.

Which wouldn't change anything, except for some back-and-forth on the
published-ness status.  Published entities /will/ be changed, for
carefully weighed reasons.  And still, IMO, the published-ness of an
entity is a useful rough estimate of the entity's likeliness of change
(for clients) resp. of the acceptability of doing a change (for us as
producer).