Aw: Re: Please add an option to set bug reports to "Private"

Thorsten Behrens thb at libreoffice.org
Thu Dec 22 15:48:04 UTC 2016

"Christoph Schäfer" wrote:
> Wow, what a genuinely polite reply! Do you behave like this at home
> or at work?

Hi Christoph,

at the very least, your above comment carries quite a bit of what you
were complaining about others. Let's all try to be nice & friendly.

Just to put some perspective to the original request, the LibreOffice
project tried pretty hard, from day one, to avoid creating
barriers. Therefore the default, visceral reaction to any such request to
erect walls will be a 'no' (or a 'no, why?' if you're lucky).

As such, with the responses that you got, you see that you're
challenging a culture here. So even if your request has merit, expect
more work & convincing necessary than a simple email. People are like
that.

> In other words, I and the friendly people who donated from their
> backups want to help you to fix YOUR bugs.

This is much appreciated!

> We are no beggars who want you to solve our non-existing problems
> but do like what DLP/LibreOffice is doing and want to support
> it. Most people who sent me their test files probably don't use
> LibreOffice (yet), and if they do, they certainly don't need its
> graphics/DTP import filters. They do know, however, that other
> projects like Inkscape and Scribus use them.

Ok, point taken.

> A suggestion from my side would be to grant DLP hackers "Developer"
> status on Scribus's bugtracker (bugs.scribus.net) for DTP and vector
> formats, so I can upload the test files over there as "Private". As
> "Developers" they would have access to the test files. The status
> would only be granted if one of the DLP leads (e.g. Fridrich Štrba
> or David Tardon) can confirm that the person is indeed an active DLP
> developer.

That to me sounds like a nice, quick, no-brainer solution to the
problem. :)

Cheers,

-- Thorsten