I hope you understand

Chris Sherlock chris.sherlock79 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 00:37:00 UTC 2016

On 6 Feb 2016, at 10:23 AM, ty armour <aarmour at cipmail.org> wrote:

> I am looking for tutorials on how to basically write every aspect of libreoffice so that I and indeed anyone can contribute useful and meaningful code.

We have wiki.documentfoundation.org

> I mean every aspect of writing libre office. from your version of word to your version of powerpoint. I need tutorials and theories for every line of code.

That’s probably never going to happen - though more documentation is always great, there’s a certain level of code reading ability you need if you want to hack on the core code :-)

> Also, you might consider writing an online version of libre office and make it compatable with word.

Already started :-)

https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/gitweb?p=online.git;a=blob;f=loolwsd/README;hb=HEAD <https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/gitweb?p=online.git;a=blob;f=loolwsd/README;hb=HEAD>

> I dont know if you guys have compatability so that I can open word documents and powerpoint documents in libre office. if you do cool if not then add another tutorial.

Ummm… we’ve been doing this for years.

Any contributions are always greatfully accepted! Try https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development <https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development>

> also, you might consider making a windows version or compiling this software with cygwin or mingw and posting tutorials on that.

We do this already.

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/BuildingOnWindows <https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/BuildingOnWindows>
> get creative and the more tutorials the better, because then anyone and everyone can contribute meaningful code.

We’re always looking for folks to help us document the codebase :-) Developing LibreOffice can have a steep learning curve, but if I could recommend the first thing to do is to use git to get the source code, then build it successfully, then hack away!

I find that http://opengrok.libreoffice.org <http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/> is a great start if you want to just read the codebase.

Once you start finding things to fix, then have a look at the gerrit pages on the Wiki.

Welcome aboard :-) Great to see folks who want to contribute, we’re pretty friendly and there’s a place for everyone. What programming skills do you have, out of interest?

Chris