Old/Obsolete file format import still needed?

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at collabora.com
Tue Feb 9 09:45:30 UTC 2016

Hi Bryan,

On Tue, 2016-02-09 at 01:38 -0500, Bryan Quigley wrote:
> While working on the easyhack[1] to remove export of obsolete formats

	Its prolly a good idea to close that easy-hack ;-)

> There also might be a security benefit by not having to
> consider these formats (less import code to harden).

	As JanI says, cf. the ESC minutes - being the swiss-army-knife of file
formats that loads ~anything you can throw at it is quite important.

> P.S. Please copy me on replies.

	Hopefully the list is configured to do that ;-)

	Anyhow - I share your concern wrt. the attack surface that all these
old file filters provide for us; I attach a prototype patch that adds an
'EXOTIC' annotation to our filter descriptions. It is missing a UI
Interaction Handler piece (cf. the hole with the notes and so on in
there ;-) - we'll need a new request type I guess.

	My ideal would be to pop up a dialog saying:

	"You're asking LibreOffice to open a very unusual file-type.
	 Unless you are certain that this file is indeed a <Lotus
	 Word Pro> file it is safest to not open it.

	 [ ] - never show this again

                      [ this is an unusual file ] [get me out of here ]"

	Of some kind =) is that something you'd be interested in working on ?

	All the best,

		Michael.

--
 michael.meeks at collabora.com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot