XSLT help

Olivier Hallot olivier.hallot at libreoffice.org
Sun Feb 21 23:52:27 UTC 2016

Hi Regina

Em 21/02/2016 10:57, Regina Henschel escreveu:
> Hi Olivier,
>
> Olivier Hallot schrieb:
>> Hi Regina
>>
>> Em 20/02/2016 10:14, Regina Henschel escreveu:
>>> Hi Olivier,
>>>
>>> Olivier Hallot schrieb:
>> (snip)
>>

>>> Do you look for an "elegant solution" or do you look for a solution
>>> at all?
>>
>> As short as the one exisitng, but that will not happen, I think.
>
> I would start with a safe solution, for example using xsl:choose.

Indeed. I made it work with <xsl:if> but thanks to Noel Grandin and you,
<xsl:choose> is the way to go.

>>> Browser Seamonkey 2.39 has no problem with attribute
>>> 'disable-output-escaping'.
>>
>> In firefox this attribute is inocuous, and googling around, it is said
>> it will not be implemented.
>>

>>> What is your global goal?
>> - Learn xslt
>
> Me too, so please do not expect ready solutions from me. But I would
> like to learn what you try and what works or not works.

The handbook tells: Have xml + xsl + css and you get a page in browser.
So I used main_tranform.xsl + default.css to display a main.xhp file in
a browser.

Well sort of. In the first attempt, I hit the firefox bug. Thrilling.

>> - display xhp pages in browser for quick view.
>
> I doubt, that you can get an identical appearance by pure XSL
> transformation. The internal help viewer understands the protocols
> vnd.sun.star.help:// and vnd.libreoffice.image:// which are needed to
> resolve embedding and images. You will need to create a replacement.

I guess that the module xmlhelp/ is actually a xslt processor created to
render xhp into writer-web for the help pages, plus the handling of the
indexes and bookmarks. To use modern technology instead, we will have to
untangle all this ancient code.

> For you it will surely be quicker to compile helpcontent2. But for
> those, who cannot build LibreOffice such a tool would be great.

The good news is: it actually works. You can display a page in the
broswer, modulo more work to debug the transformation and address the
embeds and the issues you raised on the paths.

Happy hacking ahead.

Regards
--
Olivier Hallot