Failures in OS X builds - too many errors?

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Thu Jan 21 00:57:55 PST 2016

On 01/21/2016 03:46 AM, Chris Sherlock wrote:
> I think that something odd is happening in the compilation of the boost
> library, I’m getting an error on Jenkins that there are too many
> failures in the compilation process.

Yes, multiple -Werror,-Wunknown-pragmas caused by my
<http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=2c9d652dc7f7a1e2d0d8ea0cfcdcf47608a3d84e>
"Does that help old GCC that don't know -Wplacement-new."  (And it is
normal behavior that the compiler quits with a "too many errors" message
when it has encountered a large amount of errors in a compilation,
assuming something is so broken with that input that it doesn't make
much sense to present ever more error messages to the user.)  This
problem should be fixed with
<http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=dda3fc05a2900539836f9748d418dc56247a2ddc>
"Fix for Jenkins Gerrit Mac builds."

What is worrying is that this problem only showed up in Jenkins Gerrit
builds, not in Jenkins tinderbox builds.  The two Jenkins Mac
tinderboxes on master, Jenkins_MacOSX and Jenkins_MacOSX_Dbg, stayed
green after 2c9d652dc7f7a1e2d0d8ea0cfcdcf47608a3d84e.

Quoting IRC: "<sberg> shm_get_, cloph, Jenkins_MacOSX tinderbox is a
mystery to me; in
<http://tinderbox.libreoffice.org/cgi-bin/gunzip.cgi?tree=MASTER&full-log=1453200807.490>
build it broke when compiling sal/cppunittester/cppunittester.cxx;
according to <http://tinderbox.libreoffice.org/MASTER/status.html>, the
next build of that tb was
<http://tinderbox.libreoffice.org/cgi-bin/gunzip.cgi?tree=MASTER&full-log=1453203566.10951>,
and that doesn't mention building sal/cppunittester/cppunittester.cxx at
all, and succeeds; how can that be?"

(I didn't notice any problems with my local Mac builds, as I only do
them with a trunk Clang, which does know the offending pragmas,  The
only other Mac tinderbox on master, MacOSX_x86_64_49-TDF operated by
cloph, appears to be down and hasn't reported any builds in quite some
time now.)