/usr/lib/libnss3.so: version `NSS_3.19.1' not found

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Wed Jun 1 16:19:46 UTC 2016

On 01/06/16 10:22, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 04:34:33PM +0100, Wols Lists wrote:
>> On 30/05/16 20:11, Anthonys Lists wrote:
>
>>> Just remember, a reboot WILL clear out /tmp with this setup, so your
>>> build environment will not persist across reboots. Even without a tmpfs,
>>> the distro will probably clear out /tmp on boot or shutdown.
>
>> Just struck me today - if you DON'T want all this stuff to disappear
>> on a reboot, investigate an overlayfs. I *think* what you do is put
>> an overlay on eg ~/loffice, and it will store everything in ram/swap
>> until you actively flush it.
>
> No, that's not how union filesystems work. There is no "flush"
> operation; the "lower" filesystem is never changed, all changes are
> written to the "upper" filesystem (which in your scenario would be a
> ramfs). In your scenario, all changes will be lost on reboot.
>
> What you describe is basically a cache, which all modern OSes have,
> with automatic "flush" :)

Okay, VirtualBox calls it a snapshot, I thought overlay filesystems
could do it too, but is there any way you can cache those changes so
they are ONLY written when you the user tell it to? I'm thinking the OP
doesn't want to use ~/ because it's on NFS and slow, so this would
enable him to work at local-machine speed until he's ready to take the
hit. That's why my /var/tmp/portage is tmpfs - to avoid the hit of
flushing lots of intermediate files to disk that will merely get
discarded shortly afterwards.

I've done a bit of googling and there's a load of fuse filesystems out
there, one of which might do it, but it looks like a needle in a
haystack sort of search :-(

Cheers,
Wol