Firebird doesn't support MSVC 2015

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Fri Mar 4 18:59:51 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 02, 2016 at 08:02:39AM +0100, David Ostrovsky wrote:

> So, after fixing number of MSVC 14.0 related bugs in FB
> module: [1], I filed this bug upstream: [2] and got there
> this comment from Egor Pugin:

> "I tried to compile fb with MSVC2015.
> After fixing macro issues, you'll see more errors and more serious. The
> list of errors is almost endless. (Of course no, but it's huge.)
> There will be errors that can change the runtime behaviour. So, it's
> better to coordinate your efforts with FB devs and not do all
> yourself."

> I see two options:

> * Declare FB only supported on platforms, where it can be built with
> current compiler toolchain that is used and decided by this project.
> * Cancel MSVC 14.0 upgrade for now and wait until it's supported by FB
> project

Would a "headlong rush" makes things better? That is, Firebird 3.0 has
its Release Candidate 2 out now. So we could start using it, and make
it non-experimental only with their 3.0 final or something like that?
If it support MSVC2015, maybe even has a fixed build system, then
"things get better".

Popa Marius Adrian once made some steps in that direction:
https://gist.github.com/mariuz/bcde7f783b657b2465e5