alternatives to Firebird: HSQLDB2, H2, ...

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Tue Mar 8 14:00:48 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 08, 2016 at 09:59:18AM +1100, Chris Sherlock wrote:
> I understand, but the situation with Firebird seems less than ideal,
> at least in terms of Windows builds at any rate.

> Are the tests really that much slower? Obviously we are relying on
> having a Java installation to test out Base.

The performance issues were not limited to tests, but also to actual
usage by humans. There were quite some complaints about performance,
user-noticeable and user-annoying, when on GNU/Linux, starting with
Java version XXX, things got slower. (There were also other
performance issues.)

Various hacks to work around that were discussed, but never really
implemented.