alternatives to Firebird: HSQLDB2, H2, ...

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Tue Mar 8 14:05:02 UTC 2016

On 08.03.2016 15:00, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 08, 2016 at 09:59:18AM +1100, Chris Sherlock wrote:

>> Are the tests really that much slower? Obviously we are relying on
>> having a Java installation to test out Base.
>
> The performance issues were not limited to tests, but also to actual
> usage by humans. There were quite some complaints about performance,
> user-noticeable and user-annoying, when on GNU/Linux, starting with
> Java version XXX, things got slower. (There were also other
> performance issues.)
>
> Various hacks to work around that were discussed, but never really
> implemented.

one hack was implemented at least:

commit bb59742bcf4883af5876a2ffadcc4a689e414b60
Author:     Stephan Bergmann <sbergman at redhat.com>
AuthorDate: Fri Jan 13 09:38:07 2012 +0100

    Confine JDBC driver to thread-affine apartment for Java 6 performance

    ... so that the massive number of the JDBC driver's calls to JNI
Attach/Detach-
    CurrentThread are guaranteed not to happen on the main thread (where
they are
    extremely expensive, see
    <http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6978641> "Fix
for 6929067
    introduces additional overhead in thread creation/termination paths").