alternatives to Firebird: sqlite [was: Firebird doesn't support MSVC 2015]

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Tue Mar 8 20:44:03 UTC 2016

On 08/03/16 13:32, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> At this point, I'd say, even more strongly than usual: the one that
> will do it will decide. Upgrading to a modern Java-based database
> would maybe not be that bad after all...

Sounds like I'd better get my finger out then!

IF I can get the basics in place (and to be honest it is a big if), are
other people prepared to muck in and help with the bits I can't do?

Bear in mind I'm quite happy with a relational layer and SQL as an
add-on, but a lot of the "con" points with SQLite, you might feel the
same about Pick. I'm not sure I agree with you there ...

I'm looking at it initially as being a bit like MS Access, the initial
implementation might be single user, but everything is already planned
out in my head. The file format will very rapidly get frozen, so you
won't have all these upgrade headaches ...

At the end of the day, I *WANT* to do this, but I have to be honest and
say my skill-set currently falls a bit short, and I have family issues
that may well get in the way. But I'm going to have a crack at it, if
anyone would care to help? And I'll try and get some help from the Pick
side of the fence, but I'm aware of several attempts at an Open Source
Pick that have never really got off the ground - probably due to lack of
exposure.

And if it gets the exposure, I expect users will start saying "oh, this
is an easy database to use". One of the reasons Pick has a crap
reputation among computer scientists is too many applications were
written by users - like accountants, travel agents, etc etc.

Cheers,
Wol