alternatives to Firebird: sqlite [was: Firebird doesn't support MSVC 2015]

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Wed Mar 9 17:59:08 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 08, 2016 at 08:44:03PM +0000, Wols Lists wrote:
> On 08/03/16 13:32, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:

>> At this point, I'd say, even more strongly than usual: the one that
>> will do it will decide. Upgrading to a modern Java-based database
>> would maybe not be that bad after all...

> Sounds like I'd better get my finger out then!

> IF I can get the basics in place (and to be honest it is a big if),
> are other people prepared to muck in and help with the bits I can't
> do?

I'll answer a different question: Will Lionel, under his policy of
"the one that will do it will decide", merge the patch?

The answer is:

If it is a well-maintained RDBMS that is reasonably featureful and
solid, that doesn't bring us in other directions than "the usual
suspects of the external ones" (MariaDB, PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL
Server, H2, HSQLDB2, etc), that it does not introduce undue
incompatibilities (or difficulties in maintaining compatibility with
those), that the SQL dialect and behaviour is reasonably close to the
"common ground" between the "usual suspects", etc. Then yes, I will
merge the patch.

If the RDBMS engine is self-implemented, then it has to come with a
strong commitment to maintaining it, preferably animating a (future)
development community around it.

Also, we are not forced to have only one embedded database format, we
can have several, so if several people do the work, we can merge the
several ones.

Now, specifically, duckduckgo-ing for "Pick" does not bring the
expected results, so if you could give me some links to see what you
are talking about? Thanks.

--
Lionel