alternatives to Firebird: sqlite [was: Firebird doesn't support MSVC 2015]

Chris Sherlock chris.sherlock79 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 13:51:33 UTC 2016

> On 10 Mar 2016, at 10:37 PM, Wols Lists <antlists at youngman.org.uk> wrote:
>
> Well, all modern Picks implement SQL access.
>
> And as far as I'm aware, all modern RDBMS implement some form of stored
> procedure, ie have some form of internal programming language. I suspect
> end users will find the Pick way of dealing with it is a lot easier than
> the relational way, but hey, give them the choice!
>
> And it would be nice to include an "easy to use" database with LO. imho
> that means "something that is NOT relational"! Why do most people use
> Excel instead of Access? Because Access is too hard!

The issue isn’t whether we support Pick, the issue is about how do we get out unit tests working for Base.

Firebird was chosen some time ago because it supports SQL. Pick sounds great, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t think it’s a candidate for our automated tests, at least at this point.

Chris

P.S. as an aside, when I was in high school, some wit printed a sign and stuck it to the high school computing teacher’s office door - it had a clipart picture of a PC and under it the sign read:

“What is G.I.R.L.S, and is it IBM compatible?”

Imagine my surprise to read the following on that Wikipedia article about Pick:

"Pick was originally implemented as the Generalized Information Retrieval Language System (GIRLS) on an IBM System/360”. I guess the answer was “yes”.