embedded database [was: minutes of ESC call ...]

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Wed Mar 16 14:48:01 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 01:05:10PM +0100, Christian Lohmaier wrote:

> that whole FireDB situation sucks, and I'd rather bundle hsqldb with
> every odb file.

You mean put the full .jar of HSQLDB in each (embedded HSQLDB) ODB
file?

> I'd rather update hsqldb, even if it is the evil, evil java and have
> two versions of hsqldb (...)

Generalising what you wrote (and was removed from quotation by me) to
the point that this is not an answer to you, but a general remark, I
wish to stress that in my eyes things are in theory not mutually
exclusive. We can, if we have the volunteer manpower to put it in
place AND MAINTAIN IT FOR THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE (that's a big if...),
embed all of:

 - HSQLDB 1.8 (for backwards compatibility)
 - Firebird 3
 - HSQLDB 2.x
 - H2
 - whatever some other volunteer puts and maintains in LibreOffice.

The choice of which one is the default, which one we use
non-unpaid-volunteer manpower (such as GSoC) for, etc is one that can
be had, but should not be confused with "do we want to embed XXX".

So: if anybody wants to upgrade our embedded HSQLDB, or embed H2 or
..., FEEL FREE, INDEPENDENTLY OF THIS DISCUSSION. I will take
patches.

--
Lionel