Problem with multiple identities on Gerrit

David Ostrovsky d.ostrovsky at gmx.de
Tue May 10 04:46:28 UTC 2016

On Mon, 2016-05-09 at 08:42 -0500, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
> On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 1:43 AM, David Ostrovsky <d.ostrovsky at gmx.de>
> wrote:

> > [...]
> >
> > > I not sure if you really try to link (iow log
> > > on with an existing identity -> setting -> add ana identity) and
> > > there
> > > is a bug in OAuth + openid that recognized your old gerrit openid
> > > and
> > > link Oauth to that.
> >
> > There is no way for him to link Google OpenID account, that he
> > cannot
> > use to log in, to Google OAuth2, obviously. That why the linking is
> > working out of the box, so it's enough to just log in. It's funny
> > you
> > are talking about "a bug in OAuth + openid"
>
> you are quote mining and dropped from the above the all important:
>
> "or you did not and it worked as designed and
> attached your google OAuth to your old expired goggle openid"
>
> I offered 2 alternative:
>
> Either he was logged on an existing account (not the one that had the
> old google openid, but some other that was created using a different
> identity)
> and he tried to 'add a new identity'
>
> Or he simply just tryied to log-in using google OAuth straight up
>
> in the later case I expect indeed things to work the way you describe
> (which is way I said: "or you did not and it worked as designed and
> attached your google OAuth to your old expired goggle openid"
>
> in the former case I do not expect that the new Oauth identity to be
> attached to another account than the one he was logged in while
> trying
> to 'add a new identity'

Indeed, that's how it's supposed to work. Looks like I misread your
comment; thanks for clarifying.

Note, though, that mapping support for the OpenID 2.0 identifier
(legacy OpenID 2.0 Google identities) and automagically linking during
log-in using Google OAuth straight up is only supported until January
1, 2017, as mentioned in the migration spec[1]:

"
Note: Support for the OpenID 2.0 identifier mapping described above
will remain in effect until January 1, 2017.
"

[1] https://developers.google.com/identity/protocols/OpenID2Migration#u
pdate-to-plus