/usr/lib/libnss3.so: version `NSS_3.19.1' not found

Sun May 29 08:21:56 UTC 2016

On Sun, 29 May 2016 01:35:47 +0100
Wols Lists <antlists at youngman.org.uk> wrote:

> On 24/05/16 11:26, Eike Rathke wrote:
> > Hi YuGiOhJCJ,

> >> I have 4GB of memory:
> >
> > That certainly is not enough and it will either grind your machine to
> > heavily swap, or break the build / abort things if no swap is available.
> >
> >> $ free -m
> >>              total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
> >> Mem:          3995        559       3436          0         53        330
> >> -/+ buffers/cache:        175       3819
> >> Swap:          956          0        956

> >> Well, I could do it in /home but as it is a NFS share, it is slower than in /tmp
> >
> > Ok, but as Linoel already said, using /var/tmp/ might be a better
> > choice. Also, if disk space is limited under /tmp/ then building there
> > may conflict with temporary files the compiler and linker create, which
> > can become quite large.
>
> Bear in mind, the LFS says that /tmp and /var/tmp behave differently. On
> a "correctly" configured system, the contents of /tmp are NOT guaranteed
> to survive a system crash. Which is why /tmp is often configured as a
> tmpfs. On the other hand, the contents of /var/tmp ARE guaranteed to
> survive, which is why vi and emacs and that sort of program all store
> their replay logs there ...
>
> and which is why the OP's choice of /tmp was probably correct :-)
> although most distros don't seem to make the /tmp directory overly
> large. (They also seem not to allocate much swap space.)
> >
> >> Do you think I don't have enough memory?
> >> Is there a way to require less memory while building libreoffice or should I buy more memory?
> >
> > Buy memory ;-)  at least 8GB are needed, but when building with debug
> > and symbols even that might result in swapping if you forgot to quit
> > a previous gdb session before linking Calc for example.. 12GB or having
> > a larger swap than just 1GB is recommended.
> >
> My rule of thumb is simple. Disk space is cheap, I allocate twice
> maximum ram per disk. In other words, my desktop is maxed out at 16Gb so
> the two disks each have a 32Gb swap partition. My laptop maxes out at
> 8Gb so there should be a 16Gb swap partition on the drive (actually it's
> 32Gb :-)
>
> The reason for that is - in the old days everybody said "swap should be
> twice memory" which was thought to be an old wives' tale. Then kernel
> 2.4 came out, and it turned out (1) that this requirement was actually
> part of the swap algorithm, and (2) the optimisations and hacks and
> whatever that enabled smaller swaps were a heap of old crufty rubbish.
> Linus ripped out all the hacks and vanilla 2.4 kernels started crashing
> everywhere they had a swapspace of less than twice ram.
>
> Obviously, new optimisations have gone in, presumably much better than
> before, but nowhere have I found any reference to whether the
> fundamental algorithm has been replaced. So I'm assuming it hasn't, and
> allocate at least twice ram to ensure I get top performance.
>
> Which means my fstab contains the following line

> [...]

In my /etc/fstab file I got this line on Slackware 14.1:
$ grep "tmp" /etc/fstab
tmpfs            /dev/shm         tmpfs       defaults         0   0
It is a bit different than your line in /etc/fstab but I don't know if that matters.

OK, so I see three things I can do in this order:
1) Try to build libre office in an other directory than /tmp (because it is a tmpfs) and /home (because it is an NFS share)
2) Try to increase the size of my swap partition (as I have 4GB of RAM, I need a swap space of 8GB instead of 1GB)
3) Try to buy more RAM in order to get 8GB instead of 4GB