/usr/lib/libnss3.so: version `NSS_3.19.1' not found

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Sun May 29 12:17:14 UTC 2016

On 29/05/16 09:21, YuGiOhJCJ Mailing-List wrote:
> [...]
>>> choice. Also, if disk space is limited under /tmp/ then building there
>>> may conflict with temporary files the compiler and linker create, which
>>> can become quite large.
>>
>> Bear in mind, the LFS says that /tmp and /var/tmp behave differently. On
>> a "correctly" configured system, the contents of /tmp are NOT guaranteed
>> to survive a system crash. Which is why /tmp is often configured as a
>> tmpfs. On the other hand, the contents of /var/tmp ARE guaranteed to
>> survive, which is why vi and emacs and that sort of program all store
>> their replay logs there ...
>>
>> and which is why the OP's choice of /tmp was probably correct :-)
>> although most distros don't seem to make the /tmp directory overly
>> large. (They also seem not to allocate much swap space.)

>>> Buy memory ;-)  at least 8GB are needed, but when building with debug
>>> and symbols even that might result in swapping if you forgot to quit
>>> a previous gdb session before linking Calc for example.. 12GB or having
>>> a larger swap than just 1GB is recommended.
>>>
>> My rule of thumb is simple. Disk space is cheap, I allocate twice
>> maximum ram per disk. In other words, my desktop is maxed out at 16Gb so
>> the two disks each have a 32Gb swap partition. My laptop maxes out at
>> 8Gb so there should be a 16Gb swap partition on the drive (actually it's
>> 32Gb :-)
>>
>> The reason for that is - in the old days everybody said "swap should be
>> twice memory" which was thought to be an old wives' tale. Then kernel
>> 2.4 came out, and it turned out (1) that this requirement was actually
>> part of the swap algorithm, and (2) the optimisations and hacks and
>> whatever that enabled smaller swaps were a heap of old crufty rubbish.
>> Linus ripped out all the hacks and vanilla 2.4 kernels started crashing
>> everywhere they had a swapspace of less than twice ram.
>>
>> Obviously, new optimisations have gone in, presumably much better than
>> before, but nowhere have I found any reference to whether the
>> fundamental algorithm has been replaced. So I'm assuming it hasn't, and
>> allocate at least twice ram to ensure I get top performance.
>>
>> Which means my fstab contains the following line
>>
>> tmp     /tmp    tmpfs   size=10G,mode=0777      0 0
>>
>> and you'll notice the size=10G parameter, giving me a 10Gb /tmp directory.
>>
>> (I run gentoo, so /var/tmp/portage is also a tmpfs, and that's declared
>> at 30Gb!)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Wol
>
> In my /etc/fstab file I got this line on Slackware 14.1:
> $ grep "tmp" /etc/fstab
> tmpfs            /dev/shm         tmpfs       defaults         0   0
> It is a bit different than your line in /etc/fstab but I don't know if that matters.
>
> OK, so I see three things I can do in this order:
> 1) Try to build libre office in an other directory than /tmp (because it is a tmpfs) and /home (because it is an NFS share)

With no size option, /tmp will default to half of ram. I would just add
the "size" option, so change the fourth parameter to
"size=10G,defaults", and you'll have a 10gig /tmp.

MAKE SURE that ram+swap is bigger, or a "/tmp is full" will crash your
machine!

> 2) Try to increase the size of my swap partition (as I have 4GB of RAM, I need a swap space of 8GB instead of 1GB)

If you've not got any free space on your local disk, you could always
add a swap file instead of a partition, but if you follow my suggestion
of a 10Gb /tmp, you need to add at least four more gig of ram or swap.

> 3) Try to buy more RAM in order to get 8GB instead of 4GB

YES. I don't know what ram your machine takes, but DDR3 is about GBP15
for a 4Gb stick at the moment. If your machine will take more, go for it...

Oh - and as with most things linux, it'll only use the huge /tmp space
if it needs it, so you can "set and forget" and you'll have all your ram
for normal use unless the /tmp steals it ...

Cheers,
Wol