[Libreoffice-qa] minutes of ESC call ...

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at collabora.com
Thu Nov 24 19:02:17 UTC 2016

Hi Tamás,

On 24/11/16 18:34, Zolnai Tamás wrote:
> Thanks for discussing this, even tough this discussion did not lead to change.

	Ah =) wait until Kendy has considered and implemented his magic
solution here.

> I have only one question for the future, if it ever comes into my mind
> to implement something which is related to this DAPI.

	Fair question.

> Can I have some code pointers from the last 5 years which shows when
> it is "absolutely necessary" to break compatibility? To see when it's
> acceptable to do such thing.

	I think its worth discussing it with the ESC if its significant. I the
call there was support for just extending the existing enum - if we
think that gets us to 100% of cases it will ever be in one (small)
break. TBH - none of us were that sure whether that was the case; I
think if you made a good case that it was just this one item that was
missing - forever, then - we could prolly tweak just that.

	I guess wrt. API breaks - perhaps running a git log on the reference
UNO IDL gives a number of commits:

	$ git log --numstat offapi/type_reference/offapi.idl

	Of course - the functional changes to the implementations ;-) now that
is another matter, and far harder to police of course.

	Personally I think Markus' take - that we shouldn't be using UNO API
for this internal stuff is spot-on - push the API problem to the edge:
but others have different views =)

	Thanks,

		Michael.

--